St. Augustine Mission


This slideshow requires JavaScript.

St. Augustine Mission, on the grounds of the Peace River Correctional Centre 14 km south of Peace River on the Shaftsbury Trail, is a Provincial Historic Site. This means it is one of a limited number of historic resources in Alberta that are considered to be the most significant in the Province. The current site with its 2 buildings, the 1894 log church and the 1936 barn are all that remains of a Roman Catholic Mission that closed operations in December 1950.

The Barn was constructed in 1936 and the log Church was constructed in 1894.

The Project

The purpose of this project was to prepare a conservation plan for the ongoing protect, conservation and maintenance of these 2 buildings. The main objective of the proposed work is to maintain and protect the authenticity of the site. Every artifact has potential for historic value and all decisions for interventions to the church, barn and site must be taken with great care and consideration, in accordance with provincial standards.

Team Members

Client: Alberta Infrastructure

Architects: David Murray Architect and Next Architecture (Allan Partridge)